Title: Director of Children’s Ministry (3/4 time Position)
Purpose: Responsible for the planning, coordination, administration and evaluation of all aspects
of our children’s ministry program for pre-k through 5th grade. The position oversees staff and volunteers in providing worship and discipleship experiences for the children of Park Avenue United Methodist Church.
Program Leadership & Development
- Develop and implement ministry for children to share the love of Christ and invite them to become disciples
- Lead Sunday morning formative experience for children in pre-k through 5th grades
- Develop curriculum, adapting it to Park Avenue Methodist Church ministry context
- Prepare teaching materials and supplies to share with adult volunteers
- Recruit, schedule and train a team of adult volunteers to serve on Sunday mornings
- Coordinate and manage special programs such as Vacation Bible School, Advent Festival, Trunk or Treat, summer camp and other children’s ministry programming
- Ensure all PAUMC children’s ministry volunteers have a current background check and are trained in Safe Gatherings practices
- Work closely with the PAUMC Children’s Council to evaluate ministry, select curriculum and develop policies that align with the mission and vision of PAUMC
- Prepare resources for parents and guardians to use at home to support their children’s growing relationship with God
- Collaborate and share resources with PAUMC Early Childhood Ministry Specialist, PAUMC Youth Minister and Glory Be Children’s Choir director to develop consistent, coherent and nourishing faith formation
- Develop and implement milestone programming for children in pre-k through 5th grades
- Recommend practices for engaging PAUMC children and their families in the life of the church including community service projects and intergenerational fellowship
- Ensure that “Safe Sanctuaries” and “Protecting God’s Children” best practices are in place to protect children and youth in PAUMC programs
- Manage the children’s ministries budget, exercising proper stewardship over children’s ministries funds.
- Maintain registration and weekly attendance records.
- Tracks and manages classroom supplies.
- Communicate effectively with children and families, volunteers, and surrounding community, when appropriate.
- Acting as an advocate for the children’s ministry, communicating with the congregation about goals, plans, and needs, Sunday morning announcements, and other publicity as needed.
- Serve as a member of the staff leadership team at PAUMC. Attend staff meetings and NOW council meetings.
- Coordinate with Youth Minister to ensure alignment between faith formation ministries
- Coordinate adherence to children’s policies by other ministries that work with the children of PAUMC
Professional & personal development
- Network and share resources with peers in ministry in the wider Minneapolis community
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF OF PARK AVENUE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Radical Hospitality demonstrated by graciously inviting, welcoming, and caring for others—especially those who are strangers
- Building Relationships with other staff, PAUMC laity, and our neighbors
- Integrity & Trust is engendered; takes responsibility and meets commitments
- Creativity & Flexibility to make new recommendations, to continuously improve existing ministry, and to regularly pursue learning and professional development
- Supports Vision & Mission of PAUMC and can be counted on to meet or exceed Children’s ministry program goals
- Strong personal faith in Jesus Christ
- Love of children and an understanding of faith formation in children
- Full engagement in active Christian lifestyle and discipline, including weekly worship attendance, small group participation, lifestyle of tithing and generosity, and serving out of call and giftedness
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth and healthy lifestyle
- Considers the position a ministry calling, not simply a job
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational ability and time management skills
- Ability to recruit, form, and lead a strength-based team
- Attention to detail, self-starter, commitment to excellence
- Support the overall mission, vision, beliefs and strategy of Park Avenue United Methodist Church
- Models standards and expectations of Christian leadership, including positivity and professionalism
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Coursework and experience in Christian education, elementary education or child development, preferred
- Experience in growing and sustaining children’s ministry programs
- Experience recruiting, training, and leading adult volunteers
- Volunteer or professional experience working with or in community with multi-racial, multi-ethnic children and families
- The successful candidate must pass a background check
- The successful candidate must be available Sunday mornings
- The successful candidate must be in agreement with the standards, theology, and policies of Park Avenue United Methodist Church.
Reports to: Associate Pastor
Send resume and letter of interest to Sherri Boone: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to her attention at:
3400 Park Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Application deadline: September 22, 2017